Rethinking Re-Inkers  Level 3 Class 1

Happy New Year everyone!  I’m excited to get back into AECP and finish out my last 5 level 3 classes.

For the first one I chose Sara Naumann’s Re-Inkers class.  The re-inkers are tubes of liquid ink that can be used to add freshness to drying ink pads…thus the term “re-inker”.  But they are alcohol based and can be used straight from the bottle in other ways, much like any other alcohol inks.  I’ve worked a lot with alcohol inks, sometimes just spending a day making backgrounds on yupo paper and even making coasters on stone and hardcore boards.  They are lots of fun and never are there any two alike.

Sara used Altenew re-inkers in different ways than I had in the past.  She made monochromatic and polychromatic backgrounds, created sheets for die cutting, showed how they react on different types of papers, created sheets, for die cutting and did block inking with embossing powder.  I used a combination of her classes but mostly for die cutting.

First, I took a piece of yupo paper –a synthetic paper that is non porous –and put drops of ink randomly around the paper using Altenew Ruby Rd, Coral Berry, Cotton Candy and Blush.  I also added a few sprinkles of alcohol to give more variations in color.  At Sara’s suggestion I took a moist baby wipe and dabbed around the paper giving a mottled look and some texture.  I the die cut flowers from the Simple Rosed die set. The nice thing about die cutting like this is that you can move your die around the paper to decide how you want your flower to look.  Then tape the dies down and do the actual cutting. 

As Jennifer McGuire showed in a video before Christmas you can also do put alcohol inks on holographic paper, which I had don in December.  This green alcohol ink is stunning on the holographic silver paper. From this I cut some leaves from the Altenew Leaf Mix Die Set, Altenew Simple Roses die set and from the Altendew Classic Beauty Die Set.  I played around with layouts and found myself doing something totally different than my first thoughts.  I didn’t use the leaves from the leaf mix die set BUT I did use the curved negative die pieces (right leaf in picture on the right) to create my own background.  I laid out the card design with flowers and background then covered it with Press n Seal to hold the little pieces in place.  On the white card background, I splattered some Ruby Red ink and alcohol from a brush.  Then I added glue to the backs of the flowers, stems and little pieces and put the card back on it so the design would stay where I had put it.  I turned it over, put foam tape behind the larger rose and popped it up on the card front.  To soften it, I rounded the edges of the rectangle and popped the whole card front up with foam tape on the card base.

I wanted a longer, smaller sentiment to fit below the bud and found just the right on in the Heartfelt Sentiments set.  I stamped it with Simon Says Intense black ink, trimmed it down and adhered it directly on the card front.  Some finishing touches of red sequins completed the card.

One thought on “Rethinking Re-Inkers  Level 3 Class 1

  1. Erum Tasneem January 13, 2021 / 8:08 am

    This is so so so beautiful!! I absolutely love it! And beautifully explained too!
    Thank you for submitting your gorgeous work to the AECP assignment gallery.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s